B. Stetson takes over the endowment
for DeLand University (as it was known at
the time) because Henry A. DeLand no longer
had the funds available to support it because
of his policy of buying back land from settlers
if they had to leave within the first two
years. The name of the institution was changed
at the request of Henry DeLand.
Jacksonville train line extended to DeLand,
along with the telegraph.
destroyed the 100 block of Woodland Boulevard
on both sides. The fire started in Wilcox's
Saloon. The next day 2 ordinances by the
City Council were set up:
there were to be no more saloons in DeLand;
all buildings in the downtown area needed
to be made of masonry material (brick,
1886, residents of DeLand were allowed to
take 50 cents off of their taxes for each
oak tree they planted on the City Right of
Way, and the tree had to live one year. People
planted so many trees that they didn't have
enough money to pay the town marshal. The
tax break was repealed in 1887.
built the first electrical
plant in Florida and an ice
City of DeLand installed the 1st public
street lights in the State of Florida.
felt the earthquake that hit Charleston, South
Carolina. It was the worst earthquake to hit
the eastern seaboard. It opened a 25 foot
hole at the corner of New York Avenue and
Woodland Blvd. It changed the location of
Green Springs in Enterprise.
County Courthouse moved from Enterprise to
DeLand, and the first courthouse is built.
In 1927, it is torn down and the present courthouse
was rebuilt on the same spot.
telephone come to the City of DeLand.
and all of Volusia County had the worst recorded
freeze yet. It killed all the fruit and severely
damaged the trees. In February of the following
year, another severe freeze killed all of
the fruit trees in Central Florida. They were
Arms Hotel & Golf Course is built
by Stetson. It was the finest golf course
in the Southeast during its heyday.
first water and sewage system was installed
in the City of DeLand.
Boulevard was bricked to Old Daytona Road
in one direction and to Orange City in the
other. New York Avenue was also bricked down
to the river.
High School was built on Clara Avenue. It
replaced the wooden schoolhouse built in 1898.
road was constructed connecting DeLand, Daytona,
and New Smyrna. It was shelled and partially
Putnam Hotel burned.
Boom Years." First tremendous spurt
of growth. The houses had facades of stucco
and they were in the Mediterranean style.
Subdivisions opened up all around the city.
Sidewalks were put in the downtown area. The
city limits were expanded: to the west - the
river; north - Daytona Road; south - Orange
Camp Road; and east to Lake Winnemissett.
present City Hall constructed.
Athens and Dreka Theaters built.
New Putnam Hotel opened.
Gim Gong dies.
Volusia County Fairgrounds
was built on West New York Avenue near the
railroad depot. It was sold in 1947 to the
Clyde Beatty Circus Company.
Boom" busted. The City was reduced to
approximately one square mile.
Boulevard from Plymouth Avenue to Beresford
Avenue was widened and rebuilt with concrete.
to World War II, the Navy built a naval
airbase where the municipal airport is
American Machinery Company built tugboats
and barges on the eastern part of Lake Beresford.
DeLand Aviation Company, owned by Mr. Babcock,
built Waco gliders at the old fairgrounds.
Road rerouted to its present location.
Navy turned the airbase
over to DeLand for the city's use.
Arms Hotel torn down.
shopping center, College Plaza, built on the
northeast corner of Plymouth Avenue and Woodland
rebuilt with 4 lanes going to Daytona.